Here's how to re-create Chef Hattem Mattar's Molokhiya recipe.
- 6 Cups water
- 1 tbsp butter/ghee
- 1 fresh chicken
- 6 cardamom cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 pieces Mastic
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp white pepper
- 1 whole large onion in quarters
- 2 Frozen Molokheya Bags (Defrosted)
- 5 large Cloves Fresh Garlic (ground)
- 2 tbsp dried coriander
- 1 tbsp Butter or Ghee
- Preheat a kettle bbq to 250F with your choice of wood. If using a stove, use a pot to creat chicken stock with the following spices browned in butter prior to placing the liquid an chicken. Cardamom, bay leaf, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, coriander. Place empty pot to be used for chicken soup in BBQ and allow to heat up. Brown whole chicken along with spices on all sides. Add 6 cups water to pot and allow chicken to boil.
- Drain soup of all spices and chicken. Bring to a boil remaining strained soup. Combine soup and 2 packs of molokheya. Lightly whisk to break apart leaves and get a uniform green soup. Simmer until just about to boil.
- In a small frying pan combine crushed garlic, coriander in hot butter until it has changed to light brown colour. Combine with soup and stir to get uniformity of flavor.
- Fry or Bake chicken before serving.