COVID-19 cases rising in Australian state of New South Wales

WILLIAM WEST / AFP

Authorities have warned that significant numbers of new COVID-19 cases were being found in the community.

It's raising fears of fresh clusters as authorities reported a rise in new infections for a third straight day.

With state capital Sydney in the middle of a two-week lockdown to contain an outbreak of the highly infectious Delta variant, authorities said half of Thursday's total of 24 new cases had spent time in the community when infectious.

"(This) is a cause of concern. That is what we will be looking at in the next few days and beyond as a measure of our success," NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian told reporters.

Berejiklian said many people with flu-like symptoms were ignoring lockdown orders and "going about their business".

"We can't allow that to happen ... assume that you have the virus or that people you come into contact with have the virus and act accordingly," she said.

Australia is battling simultaneous flare-ups of infections in several states and nearly half of all Australians are under stay-at-home orders to prevent any major outbreak of the Delta strain.

Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and Darwin imposed lockdowns in the past few days, following months in which Australia had nearly eliminated the virus.

The remote outback town of Alice Springs, gateway to UNESCO World Heritage-listed Uluru, was also locked down on Wednesday after an infected traveller spent hours in the city's airport.

The total number of cases in the latest outbreak in NSW, the worst affected state, neared 200 since the first case was detected more than two weeks ago in a limousine driver who transported overseas airline crew.

Queensland state on Thursday detected two new local cases, as it tracks four different virus clusters - three of them the Delta variant. The Northern Territory detected one new case, South Australia and Western Australia recorded no cases.

Australia has fared much better than many other developed countries in containing the novel coronavirus through lockdowns, swift contact tracing and strict social distancing, with just over 30,550 cases and 910 deaths.

However, a sluggish vaccination drive has put the federal government on the back foot.

The government earlier this week decided to indemnify doctors who administered AstraZeneca's vaccine shots to people under 60, in an effort to ramp up inoculation.

But several states have declined to administer AstraZeneca shots to under 60s due to the higher but still low risk of blood-clotting in younger people.

Lieutenant General John Frewen, the head of the country's vaccine taskforce, said more than 2,600 people under 40 years had received AstraZeneca shots since Monday.

"Right now, they would rather have the available vaccine than wait. I think all Australians have that right," Frewen told broadcaster Channel Nine.

 

 
 

More from International

  • Israeli airstrikes kill 11 in Gaza, Palestinians say

    At least 11 Palestinians were killed in Israeli airstrikes in the northern and southern Gaza Strip on Sunday, Palestinian civil defence and health officials said, in what Israel's military called a response to Hamas ceasefire violations.

  • Rubio visits eastern Europe to bolster ties

    US Secretary of State Marco Rubio began a two-day trip to eastern Europe on Sunday to bolster ties with Slovakia and Hungary, whose conservative leaders, often at odds with other European Union countries, have warm ties with President Donald Trump.

  • New Zealand braces for more flooding after road collapses, one death

    New Zealand's weather forecaster on Sunday warned more flooding could hit the country's North Island, a day after floods caused power outages, road collapses, home evacuations and was linked to the death of a man whose vehicle was submerged on a highway.

  • Rubio tells Munich security forum US, Europe belong together

    US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gave a message of unity to Europeans on Saturday, saying Washington does not intend to abandon the transatlantic alliance, but that Europe's leaders had made a number of policy mistakes and need to change course.

  • Canadians 'will always be with you' says PM at Tumbler Ridge vigil

    Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney told grieving residents of Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, on Friday that Canadians "will always be with you" at a vigil to mourn victims of one of the country's worst mass shootings.

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • The Business Breakfast

    6:00am - 10:00am

    The Business Breakfast is the day’s must listen for the UAE’s business leaders, and those who aspire to be.

  • The Agenda

    10:00am - 1:00pm

    Broadcasting every weekday, Georgia Tolley goes beyond the headlines to speak to government ministers, decision makers, analysts and local experts to find out how the news will impact those of us living in the UAE.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!