Uruguay in joint bid for centenary World Cup

Shutterstock

Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Paraguay have submitted a joint bid to host the 2030 World Cup, an effort that if successful would bring the global tournament back to Uruguay a century after it hosted the first World Cup in 1930.

"This is the dream of a continent," said Alejandro Dominguez, president of the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).

"There will be more World Cups, but the Cup only turns 100 one time, and it needs to come home," Dominguez said in an event at Montevideo's Centenario Stadium, where Uruguay defeated Argentina to win the first ever World Cup.

Argentina and Chile have since also hosted the games, in 1978 and 1962, respectively.

"It's just for the World Cup to be hosted where it all began 100 years later," Ignacio Alonso, president of the Uruguayan Football Association, told reporters.

Dominguez said there are "more than sufficient" reasons for FIFA to accept the four countries' single candidacy. The 2030 World Cup will follow the 2026 World Cup, which will be jointly hosted by Canada, Mexico and the United States.

For now, the South American countries' top competition appears to come from Spain and Portugal, which last month submitted a joint bid to host the tournament. 

More from Sports

  • Chelsea manager blasts referee, VAR after draw

    Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel slammed referee Anthony Taylor and VAR for their decisions in a 2-2 Premier League draw with Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, saying his side deserved to win.

  • Will Zalatoris wins FedEx Cup play-off

    It took an extraordinary and unpredictable three-hole playoff, but Will Zalatoris finally landed his maiden PGA Tour title by defeating Austrian Sepp Straka on Sunday to win the FedEx St. Jude Championship in Memphis, Tennessee.

  • All Blacks coach hits back at critics

    All Blacks coach Ian Foster has called criticism of his team selections "insulting" after New Zealand ended a dismal run with a 35-23 win over hosts South Africa at their Ellis Park stronghold in Johannesburg on Saturday.

  • United players trashed tactical plan, says Ten Hag

    Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag apologised to the club's supporters for his team's abject performance in their 4-0 loss against Brentford on Saturday, claiming the players consigned pre-match plans to "the bin".

  • J.J. Spaun retains Memphis lead

    J.J. Spaun shot a 2-under 68 on Saturday to maintain a one-shot lead after three rounds of the FedEx St. Jude Championship in Memphis, Tennessee.

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • Off Script with Chris, Robbie & Sonal

    5:00pm - 7:00pm

    The UAE’s alternative take on news, entertainment and sport. Join Chris, Robbie and Sonal as they cut through the clutter to bring you the news, entertainment and sport stories that actually matter.

  • Extra Time

    7:00pm - 8:00pm

    Chris & Robbie bring you the latest from the sporting world plus interviews with upcoming and legendary sporting stars.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye