Australia calls for global inquiry into COVID-19 origins

PETER PARKS / AFP

Australia has called for an international inquiry into the origins of the coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan, and how it was handled.

The country's foreign minister Marise Payne questioned China's transparency and insisted the World Health Organisation (WHO) should not run the inquiry.

"The issues around the coronavirus are issues for independent review, and I think that it is important that we do that," Payne told ABC television. "In fact, Australia will absolutely insist on that."

This comes following strained ties between the two countries and increased criticism from US President Donald Trump over how the health crisis was initially handled.

"My trust in China is predicated in the long-term," Payne said. "My concern is around transparency and ensuring that we are able to engage openly."

China, however, has dismissed the allegations.

So far, Australia has reported more than 6,500 positive cases and 70 deaths. 

More from International

  • Israeli airstrikes kill 11 in Gaza, Palestinians say

    At least 11 Palestinians were killed in Israeli airstrikes in the northern and southern Gaza Strip on Sunday, Palestinian civil defence and health officials said, in what Israel's military called a response to Hamas ceasefire violations.

  • Rubio visits eastern Europe to bolster ties

    US Secretary of State Marco Rubio began a two-day trip to eastern Europe on Sunday to bolster ties with Slovakia and Hungary, whose conservative leaders, often at odds with other European Union countries, have warm ties with President Donald Trump.

  • New Zealand braces for more flooding after road collapses, one death

    New Zealand's weather forecaster on Sunday warned more flooding could hit the country's North Island, a day after floods caused power outages, road collapses, home evacuations and was linked to the death of a man whose vehicle was submerged on a highway.

  • Rubio tells Munich security forum US, Europe belong together

    US Secretary of State Marco Rubio gave a message of unity to Europeans on Saturday, saying Washington does not intend to abandon the transatlantic alliance, but that Europe's leaders had made a number of policy mistakes and need to change course.

  • Canadians 'will always be with you' says PM at Tumbler Ridge vigil

    Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney told grieving residents of Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, on Friday that Canadians "will always be with you" at a vigil to mourn victims of one of the country's worst mass shootings.

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • The Business Breakfast

    6:00am - 10:00am

    The Business Breakfast is the day’s must listen for the UAE’s business leaders, and those who aspire to be.

  • The Agenda

    10:00am - 1:00pm

    Broadcasting every weekday, Georgia Tolley goes beyond the headlines to speak to government ministers, decision makers, analysts and local experts to find out how the news will impact those of us living in the UAE.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!