Piastri rejects Alpine F1 seat

Shutterstock

Australia's rising star Oscar Piastri has ruled out racing for Renault-owned Alpine amid contract confusion only hours after he had been announced in the Formula One team's 2023 driver lineup.

The 21-year-old, Alpine's reserve and last year's Formula Two champion, was set to replace double world champion Fernando Alonso when the Spaniard joins Aston Martin at the end of the season on a multi-year deal.

Alonso's announcement on Monday, the first day of the sport's August break, had come as a surprise but that was eclipsed by the drama and intrigue that followed.

Alpine's statement strangely lacked a quote from Piastri, who finally broke his silence on social media by making clear he had other plans.

"I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 have put out a press release late this afternoon that I am driving for them next year," he said. "This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

Media reports suggested the Australian, managed by former F1 racer Mark Webber, had signed a pre-contract with McLaren -- a team that officially does not have a vacancy but might be creating one.

Alpine principal Otmar Szafnauer was asked about that in a Zoom call with reporters on Tuesday.

"We do have a legal contract with him (Piastri) into the future for '23. And if an option is taken up, for '24," he said. "I don't know what he's done with McLaren... I'm not privy to that."

Piastri had previously been linked to Williams, but that was as a loan deal on the understanding that he would return to Alpine when Alonso left.

There was no comment from McLaren, who are battling Alpine for fourth place in the constructors' championship, and Piastri's management could not be contacted immediately.

McLaren have Daniel Ricciardo and Britain's Lando Norris but the experienced Australian has been performing below expectations and his place called into question.

Ricciardo, who joined McLaren from the Renault team that is now Alpine, has insisted he is staying and has an option on his side.

Formula One has a contracts recognition board to settle disputes between teams over drivers and the matter could end up there.

Alpine, as part of a major manufacturer, are unlikely to have taken the step of announcing a driver without feeling confident, however.

"We believe we are legally correct in our statement," the team said, without further comment.

There was an air of uncertainty and mis-communication, however, with Szafnauer telling reporters he found out about Alonso's move only when he read Aston Martin's press release.

Asked whether he had spoken to Alonso, Szafnauer replied: "I haven't talked to him, since he's on a boat, I think, in the Greek Isles somewhere."

Alonso then posted on Instagram a video of himself walking in his home town of Oviedo in northern Spain. He also tweeted a picture of a go-kart at his museum track with the caption 'favourite activity on holidays".

More from Sports

  • Chelsea manager blasts referee, VAR after draw

    Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel slammed referee Anthony Taylor and VAR for their decisions in a 2-2 Premier League draw with Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, saying his side deserved to win.

  • Will Zalatoris wins FedEx Cup play-off

    It took an extraordinary and unpredictable three-hole playoff, but Will Zalatoris finally landed his maiden PGA Tour title by defeating Austrian Sepp Straka on Sunday to win the FedEx St. Jude Championship in Memphis, Tennessee.

  • All Blacks coach hits back at critics

    All Blacks coach Ian Foster has called criticism of his team selections "insulting" after New Zealand ended a dismal run with a 35-23 win over hosts South Africa at their Ellis Park stronghold in Johannesburg on Saturday.

  • United players trashed tactical plan, says Ten Hag

    Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag apologised to the club's supporters for his team's abject performance in their 4-0 loss against Brentford on Saturday, claiming the players consigned pre-match plans to "the bin".

  • J.J. Spaun retains Memphis lead

    J.J. Spaun shot a 2-under 68 on Saturday to maintain a one-shot lead after three rounds of the FedEx St. Jude Championship in Memphis, Tennessee.

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • Afternoons with Helen Farmer

    2:00pm - 5:00pm

    Every weekday afternoon, Helen Farmer will help you to navigate the highs and lows of life in the UAE. Stay up to date with what’s happening and where to go.

  • Off Script with Chris, Robbie & Sonal

    5:00pm - 7:00pm

    The UAE’s alternative take on news, entertainment and sport. Join Chris, Robbie and Sonal as they cut through the clutter to bring you the news, entertainment and sport stories that actually matter.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye