Netanyahu says Blinken assured him US will unblock weapons shipments

AFP

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday said that US Secretary of State Antony Blinken had assured him that the Biden administration was working to lift restrictions on arms deliveries to Israel, an exchange the top US diplomat declined to confirm.

In a rare expose of normally private high-level diplomatic conversations, Netanyahu said that when he met Blinken in Israel last week, he told him that it was "inconceivable" that in the past few months Washington was "withholding weapons and ammunitions" to Israel.

"Israel, America's closest ally, fighting for its life, fighting against Iran and our other common enemies," Netanyahu said and added that Blinken assured him that the administration was working "day and night" to remove such bottlenecks.

The Biden administration in May paused a shipment of 2,000 pound and 500-pound bombs due to concern over the impact they could have in densely-populated areas but Israel was still due to get billions of dollars worth of US weaponry.

Speaking at a news conference in Washington, Blinken repeatedly declined to detail his exchange with Netanyahu or confirm whether he had given the Israeli leader such assurances.

He said weapons shipments with the exception of one with large bombs were moving as usual given Israel faced security threats beyond Gaza, including from Hezbollah and Iran.

"We, as you know, are continuing to review one shipment that President Biden has talked about with regard to 2000-pound bombs because of our concerns about their use in a densely populated area, like Rafah. That remains under review," Blinken said.

"But everything else is moving as it normally would move, and again with the perspective of making sure that Israel has what it needs to defend itself against this multiplicity of challenges.”

Biden in April warned Israel that the US would stop supplying it weapons if Israeli forces make a major invasion of Rafah, a refugee-packed city in southern Gaza.

Days later, Israeli forces began an offensive in Rafah, saying Hamas were hiding there and reiterating that eliminating Hamas and bringing back hostages were Israel's main goals.

Washington has not described Israel's offensive as a major military operation and therefore has not followed through on its ultimatum.

Scrutiny on Israel's conduct of its military operation in Gaza has increased as the Palestinian death toll from the war has soared to above 37,000, according to health officials in the Hamas-run enclave and reduced the Strip to a wasteland.

The war started when Hamas burst over the border and attacked Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people and taking 250 others hostage, according to Israeli tallies.

On Monday, the Washington Post reported that two key Democrats in the US Congress have agreed to support a major arms sale to Israel that includes 50 F-15 fighter jets worth more than $18 billion.

More from International

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • The Best of Dubai Eye 103.8

    3:00pm - 7:00pm

    Hear the highlights from the week gone by on Dubai Eye 103.8. Listen again to the best interviews, advice and the top stories that has gripped our conversation this week.

  • Nights on Dubai Eye 103.8

    7:00pm - 11:00pm

    Dubai Eye complements the conversation with the music you love from the eighties, nineties and newer.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Flying Taxis

    It sounds like an episode of The Jetsons, but the sight of flying taxis whizzing around our cities could be much closer than you think.

  • Tough penalties for deliberate tax evasion

    The UAE has said that tougher penalties will come into force from 1st August for not keeping proper corporate tax records.