Cuba accuses US of fabrication after Axios report alleging drone threat

AFP

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez accused the US on Sunday of fabricating a "fraudulent case" to justify economic sanctions and potential military intervention.

The minister's comments followed a report by Axios on Sunday, citing classified intelligence, which said Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones.

"Cuba neither threatens nor desires war," Rodriguez said in a post on social media, adding the country "prepares itself to confront external aggression in the exercise of the right to legitimate self-defense recognized by the UN Charter."

The report alleged that Havana had discussed plans to use the drones to attack the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay, US military vessels, and Key West, Florida.

Rodriguez did not explicitly mention the drone allegations in his statement.

The intelligence, which could become a pretext for US military action, shows the degree to which the Trump administration sees Cuba as a threat because of developments in drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana, a senior US official told the publication.

Reuters could not immediately verify the Axios report.

Tensions between the two nations are soaring.

US Department of Justice sources told Reuters last week they planned to indict former Cuban leader Raul Castro on charges related to Cuba's 1996 shooting down of two planes operated by the humanitarian group Brothers to the Rescue.

An indictment of the 94-year-old revolutionary icon would mark a major escalation in the pressure campaign against Cuba by the Trump administration, which has described the island's communist-run government as corrupt and incompetent as it pushes for change.

The US has previously used criminal cases against foreign political figures to justify military actions, and Trump has threatened "Cuba is next" after his administration in January captured Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro.

CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials, including Raul Castro’s grandson, during an exceedingly rare high-level visit to the island on Thursday.

More from International

Coming Up on Dubai Eye

  • The Agenda

    10:00am - 1:00pm

    Broadcasting every weekday, Georgia Tolley goes beyond the headlines to speak to government ministers, decision makers, analysts and local experts to find out how the news will impact those of us living in the UAE.

  • Afternoons with Helen Farmer

    1:00pm - 4:00pm

    Every weekday afternoon, Helen Farmer will help you to navigate the highs and lows of life in the UAE. Stay up to date with what’s happening and where to go.

BUSINESS BREAKFAST LATEST

On Dubai Eye

  • Is There Sufficient House Supply In UAE

    Dubai’s current population is more than double compared to almost twenty years ago, which now stands at 3.7 million. Lots of families are also moving to the UAE now. So what does it mean for the property market?

  • Noon's First Female Delivery Driver

    Glory Ehirim Nkiruka is Noon’s first ever female delivery driver. In her first ever interview, she explained why she loves her job, despite the heat!