Recreate Yasmine's tasty sticky toffee date cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1½ cups (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 170 grs Medjool dates, pitted, coarsely chopped
- Bundt cake pan, brushed with soft butter and dusted with flour. Shake off excess.
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Beat dry ingredients in a large bowl of a stand alone mixer with a whisk until well combined. Add butter (make sure it’s at room temperature) and use beater to mix on medium-low speed until mixture resembles coarse sand. Add sour cream and vanilla and continue to beat, increasing speed from medium-low to medium as the ingredients begin to incorporate, until batter is thick and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to medium-low, add 1 egg at a time, starting on low speed then increasing it and beating for about 30 seconds between each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl again. Reduce speed to low, add dates, and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds longer. Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth surface and tap the pan lightly on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake cake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean and cake springs back slightly when pressed, 40–50 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes in pan, then turn out cake onto a platter and let cool completely.
- Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool, then cover with plastic wrap. Store at room temperature.
TAHINI CARAMEL INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup (200 g) Sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) of heavy cream or whipping cream, warmed (more for thinner caramel)
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) fleur de sel sea salt
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla
- 1/4 cup sesame paste or tahini
TAHINI CARAMEL DIRECTIONS
- In a large sauce pot place the sugar and heat on medium high swirling the sugar until it turns a deep amber and is completely dissolved. This will take 7-10 mins. DO NOT WALK AWAY! It will burn very quickly if not careful and must be swirled in order to prevent burning.
- Once caramel appears, add 1\2 cup of warmed heavy cream, TURN OFF FLAME. Allow for boiling to settle, and then whisk to combine. Add ¼ tsp Fleur de Sel salt and 2 tbsp of butter. Whisk until smooth and transfer to a Pyrex pitcher to cool.
- Add more cream about 1/2 cup for a runnier caramel, this one sets quite firm to a total of 250ml. Once caramel cools to room temperature, add 1/4 cup of tahini and use a small whisk or a rubber spatula to mix them together.
- Place a couple of chopped or torn dates on the top of the cake and drizzle generously with the caramel tahini.
- If the caramel is too stiff, heat up gently in a Bain Marie. Serve extra sauce on the side.